What is SSL?
SSL stands for “Secure Socket Layer” and is the standard security technology for establishing an encrypted link between a web server and a browser. This secure link ensures that all data transferred remains private.
Why is SSL important?
Every website should use obtain, install, and utilize a SSL certificate to enable your websites files to be served over HTTPS. Here is why:
- Security: SSL encrypts your website traffic to ensure no one can see your user’s data. This should be extremely important for you if you are collecting names/numbers/emails of customers or taking payments online.
- Performance: SSL can actually improve your websites page load times.
- Search Ranking Boost: Search engines favor websites that have an SSL certificate and are served over HTTPS.
- Trust: Visitors to your website will feel more comfortable trusting you with their data if you have taken precautionary measures to keep it safe.
- Compliance: SSL is a key component of PCI compliance.